What is Earth Day?
Earth Day is a time for us as individuals, organizations and corporations to take some time out to focus on supporting and advocating for environmental protection.
Earth Day is coming up on Sunday, April 22; and this year’s theme is ‘End plastic pollution’.
How you can help
Many cities host annual Earth Day events that revolve around cleaning up parks, beaches and highways. Visit your city’s website or Facebook page to see if they are hosting an event. If not, you can always put together your own event with friends, family and neighbors.
Reduce your environmental footprint, not just on Earth Day, but every day. Here are some great ways to do just that:
- Drive Green: Purchase an Electric Vehicle (EV) or a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHV). We just got one & we love it!
- Buy local & organic: Whenever possible, choose to shop at your local farmer’s market & buy products that are grown/raised locally.
- Cut the beef & dairy whenever possible
- Go Solar!
- Ban plastic whenever possible - keep reusable bags on you at all times.
- Reduce water use: Shorter showers, turn off the water while brushing your teeth & only use your sprinkler system only when needed.
- Purchase Green: From cleaning supplies to shampoo and conditioner, there are a number of green products on the market that can help reduce your environmental footprint.
- Recycle, Reuse & Repurpose: This is the easy one & likely something you already have going on in part; but keep it up! Set up separate bins in your home specifically for recyclable materials, if you haven’t already. Drop them off at your local recycling center or leave them out on the curb for the recycling truck. Reuse and repurpose boxes, bags, jars & bottles. It’s actually easy to be green!