Avocados are a heart-healthy, delicious food packed with nutrients. Avocados offer a creamy consistency and are naturally sodium, sugar and cholesterol-free. The monounsaturated fats provided by this unique fruit is ideal for providing a hearty, filling meal for all ages.
One of the simplest recipes using this creamy super food is avocado toast. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or a midday snack, there are a myriad of ways to whip up this quick and easy recipe.
AVOCADO TOAST INGREDIENTS
1 slice of bread
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled, deeded and mashed
2 slices heirloom or beefsteak tomato
2 slices bacon
Fresh cracked pepper
Sea salt to taste
Avocado Toast with Fried Egg
- Toast 1 slice bread and spread with 1/2 ripe, avocado (mashed or sliced). Spray a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and fry one egg as desired.
- Place cooked egg onto avocado toast, sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
Avocado Toast with Heirloom Tomatoes
- Toast 1 slice bread, spread with 1/2 ripe avocado (mashed or sliced) and 2 slices heirloom or beefsteak tomato.
- Top with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.
Avocado Toast with Bacon
- Toast 1 slice bread, spread with 1/2 ripe avocado (mashed or sliced)
- 2 slices cooked bacon
Avocado Toast with Fried Egg, Tomato and Bacon
- Toast your favorite bread
- Prepare egg as desired
- Spread toast with mashed or sliced avocado
- Top with egg, tomato and bacon
- Add salt and pepper to taste
WAYS TO MIX IT UP
Breads: Try this recipe with a variety of breads. From sourdough to multigrain, artisan loaves to rye, wheat, french...all types of toast work and add unique tastes and textures to the foundation of this simply delicious meal.
Bacon/Meats: Just as there are many types of breads, experimenting with a variety of types of bacon is also a great way to change up this recipe. Turkey bacon, Canadian bacon, maple, peppercorn, or vegetarian bacon are all tasty options. Other meats including breakfast sausage, black forest ham, chicken or turkey also offer an interesting variety.
Eggs: Poached, over-easy, or scrambled, how you prepare your eggs adds variety. Or, leave them off altogether.
Cheese: The variety of flavors and textures cheese provides can accent this meal. From a sprinkling of Parmasan to a slice of melted Brie, a sliver of Gruyere or even a dollop cottage cheese are wonderful additions.
Fruit: A touch of sweetness blends beautifully with avocado. Try a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds for a flavorful burst of taste and nutrition.
Spice it up: Fresh cilantro, your favorite hot sauce, basil or other herbs and sauces create a flavor boost.